Selecting the most ideal skateboard trucks and wheels isn’t as simple as it may seem. To correctly choose the best wheels and trucks for your skateboard, you will need to learn some things about skateboard trucks and wheels in general.
If you’re a skateboarder, then you might already know what skateboarding trucks and wheels are and just exactly what they do. However, if you don’t, you will need to know how they work if you really want to get the best of the bunch.
Skateboarding wheels and trucks are important components of skateboards as they play a part in the way they ride as well as the overall performance of your skateboard. To find out the best skateboarding wheels and trucks, a good understanding of the differences among a host of features like size and height will prove very helpful.
This will not only help you pick out the best wheels and trucks, but it will also help in making you become a better skateboarder.
- Spitfire Bighead Wheels
The Spitfire Bighead has gained a lot of positive reviews majorly because of its efficiency when used on top of smooth and flat surfaces.
Note that it has a 99a durometer – making it a very hard wheel you’ll come across in the market. Spitfire skateboards are very reliable and arguably have the best skateboarding wheels for tricks. This is because it can roll smoothly on almost every surface. This makes it ideal for professional competitions or for people looking to show off their complex tricks.
When combined with the correct diameter, the speed is quite remarkable. Depending on the type of your skateboard, you should select the most suitable diameter. This wheel is sold in 6 different colours which include blue, royal blue, yellow, purple, green and red.
- It provides solid hardness that is suitable for top-grade requirements.
- It can be able to run seamlessly on sleek and flat surfaces.
- It is made of high-quality materials.
- It isn’t beginner-friendly.
- It doesn’t work so well on rocky or rough surfaces.
- Havoc 5.0 Skateboard Trucks
This is one of the first names that comes to mind when talking about skateboard trucks. Always remember that each rider has his/her own preference when it comes to skateboard trucks, especially when their riding styles and skills are put into consideration.
Havoc has one of the best trucks in the skateboarding world and it’s quite a common knowledge that they have consistently provided high-quality skateboard trucks for reasonable prices.
It is one of the lightest (if not the lightest) skateboards currently available on the market. These trucks are particularly suited for beginners and early learners of skateboarding. It is also suitable for casual skaters who aren’t planning to do a lot of grind tricks.
- It is affordable.
- The trucks are of standard size.
- It is made with aluminium alloy.
- It is ideal for beginners and casual skaters.
- Isn’t ideal for street skaters.
- Might experience kingpin bite.
- Isn’t a good model for performing grinding on trucks.
- Spitfire Classic Series High-Performance Skateboard Wheels
These are similar to the Spitfire Bighead wheels and is ideal for people who don’t like the branded design. Its durometer is also 99a, meaning it can be used by professional skaters on parks, pools and ramps.
Even though these particular wheels don’t possess the sleek design of the bighead, its spinning patterns indicate the union between its wheels. This helps to ensure that your deck stands out.
It is important to note the diameter of the scale of the wheels with your colour selection. This means that the red colour has 51mm, the green has a wheel diameter of 52mm, yellow with a diameter of 53mm, so it goes. These wheels are of high quality and if you notice defects in your product, the brand’s warranty should be able to comfortably cover this.
- It is solid enough for professional skaters to use.
- It runs smoothly on sleek and flat surfaces.
- It is made with the best materials.
- It also has brand recognition.
- It comes with a unified design as well as a spinning model.
- It isn’t suitable for beginner skaters.
- Quite inefficient on rocky and rough surfaces.
- Gullwing Sidewinder Skateboard Trucks
The Gullwing is a well-built truck made and constructed with quality materials to ensure optimal stability and adjustment. Whether it’s a turn on flat ground or a 180 in a parking lot, these trucks will ensure that the transition is seamless.
Due to it being very stable even at top speed, this board will concisely and seamlessly respond to sharp and light turns.
However, the most satisfying thing about these trucks is its double kingpin feature that allows the trucks to steer further than the normal designs. This means that skaters can decide to create momentum via turning or pumping.
- With its double kingpin system, you can steer farther distances than most trucks.
- It is well built.
- Its great stability ensures that it rides smoothly.
- It can be easily adjusted.
- It is majorly suited to be used in freestyle deck.
- The wheelbase has to be raised by approximately 4″.
- Ricta Clouds Wheels
This is another skateboard wheel firmly high up the list. If you’re the type that enjoys travelling and cruising atop skateboards, then this will certainly fit your requirements. The wheels are ideal for both amateur and experienced skateboarders.
The wheels are created out of soft urethane and they still possess a steady construction. Their major objective is to go through rough surfaces which include streets, hills – as well as being able to roll over cracks in the surfaces.
They ensure that a seamless experience is provided when cruising with its 52mm wheels. This size makes it well-balanced between acceleration and speed. Users will have complete control over the velocity they would like to reach.
- It provides a pristine balance between amateurs and experienced skateboarders as they can both make use of the wheels.
- It can run comfortably well on most rough surfaces and rugged roads.
- It is reliable and durable.
- Its 54mm wheels ensure better control is gained.
- Its price is quite expensive – especially for beginners.
- Doesn’t perform optimally on smooth ground.
- 149 Stage II Skateboard Trucks
The Stage II Forged Titanium 149 is regarded as the most current of all the Independent products. The greatest advantage of this truck is its use of the most modern manufacturing features to ensure its strength is maximized – while minimising its weight.
It is available in an extensive list of axle choices that include the 109 and 215 models – among others. As well as the hanger being 149 mm, it is great to use with decks that are larger than the normal ones – with sizes ranging from 8.25 to as much as 8.75 inches. Unlike the Gullwing model that has a problem regarding trucks of low height, the Stage II model fashions out a regular measurement of 53.5mm that ensures there isn’t any wheel bite trouble at all.
It is made with the best materials and at first glance, you would be of the opinion that it would be too heavy. However, the truck is actually lighter than most of Independent’s models.
- It has various choices in axles.
- It is robust, solid and strong, yet, is very lightweight.
- It doesn’t have any problems concerning wheel bite.
- Made with materials of high quality.
- It is on the expensive spectrum.
- Orangatang Mini-Logo Wheel
As regards Mini-Logo, their series is mostly geared towards simplicity and optimal performance. Its durometer is in size 101A which makes it even harder than most wheels.
Even though the wheels are quite hard, with the help of the remarkable rebound formula, they can prove helpful in making a dangerous landing become a more comfortable one.
These wheels possess cuts of two kinds: the A-cut, that has a 50-56mm diameter, is predominantly for the street skateboarder. These are the ideal sizes for park or tricks skating.
On the other hand, the C-cut is predominantly meant to be used by transition skaters who are hoping to become professionals. This C-cut has a size of between 55mm – 60mm, that is ideal for skating on the pool, ramp and on smooth surfaces.
- The hardness of its wheels makes it suitable for professional use.
- It works so well on sleek and flat surfaces.
- It doesn’t cost that much and it also assures optimal performances.
- It isn’t suitable for beginners.
- It isn’t efficient on rocky and rough surfaces.
Alomejor 1 Pair Skateboard Truck 4-8 inch Longboard Independent Trucks
Like a lot of trucks, this particular model is differentiated with colours. Its price is also remarkably affordable.
The consensus is that low price equates poor quality, but in this situation, I strongly disagree. The Alomejor skateboard truck is an almighty exception – as it is very good in quality and in its performance and construction.
Regarding 5” hanger, it is highly recommended to go for decks with sizes like 5.25”, 8.1” and others, meaning it is also ideal for boards – mostly penny boards. So, for any parent who wants their kid to learn how to skateboard, this product is suitable.
They are durable, stable and sturdy to help amateurs keep a perfect balance while also bearing the brunt of hits and bumps that will not hinder its efficiency for years.
- It is manufactured with high quality and durable materials.
- It is very cheap.
- It is ideal for beginners.
- Its balance is pristine.
- It can be difficult for the bolt to fully connect with the trucks.