Skateboarding is very famous among teenagers, kids, and adults as well. It is one of the most popular recreational sport out there and a lot of persons are really digging it. A lot of children are into skateboarding and a lot more are interested in learning. But it is important to know that for your kid, there are precautions you must take to make sure they are safe when they go out to ride.
So is skateboarding safe for kids? It is important to remember that skateboarding can lead to accidents and injuries if some measures are not taken to prevent them, and as a parent, that is more or less your duty. And considering the many benefits your kid can get from skateboarding, I think it is a worthy sport to get your kid involved in.
So if your kid is interested in learning how to skateboard and you are concerned, stick with me for the rest of the article to find out if you should let them and how to keep them safe if they do go out there.
What Age Is Safe For Kids To Start Skateboarding?
Generally, the answer to this question is dependent on you and your kid. When kids are interested in something, they are interested in learning how to do it. So if your kid wants to skateboard even at 2 years of age, they will definitely get the hang of it howbeit slowly.
Know that if your kid shows interest in skateboarding and they haven’t tried skating yet, then it is on you. Chances are that you’re not sure of letting then get on board. Just have it in mind that with skateboarding, it is ‘the earlier the better‘. The earlier your kid starts learning and practising, the better they’ll get at it as they grow up.
Proper Safety Gear
Before your kids go out to skate, it is important you inspect their board and their gears to make sure they are safe and intact. Remember, your kid is just a kid, and may not be as thorough as you the parent or guardian, so it’s important ‘you’ do the inspecting.
Make sure to check that their wheels are in place, the bearings are the way it should be and their deck is perfectly safe. When this is done, make sure they are wearing all the recommended safety gear to ensure their safety out in the skateboard park.
There are a number of items your kid will need to skateboard safely, which must be provided and worn before riding.
- A good helmet is the most important of all safety. With the severity of issues, one can sustain from head injuries, it shows how important your kid needs a helmet. So get them a helmet that fits perfectly, designed specifically for skateboarding. Never let your child go skateboarding without wearing a helmet.
- Wrist guards protect the wrist from sprains, scratches, and bruises during a fall. So, you get the gist. In some cases, you can get a package which includes a helmet and other accessories.
- Elbow pads and knee pads also protect your kid during falls to prevent serious injuries that may land them in an emergency room.
- You can also choose to provide them with some safety googles to shield and protect their eyes.
Safe Places To Ride a Skateboard for Kids.
Skateboarding is a lot of fun and some of its beauty is in the daredevil acts some skateboarders give. While that is all fun, it is not for your kid. There are places you should never allow your kid to ride their boards because of the danger it presents to your kid.
Make sure you inspect whatever ground you want your kid to ride on. Be certain they are void of cracks, tree branches and leaves. Those are hazardous to riders and worse still for children skateboarders.
Have these in mind when deciding where your kid should ride.
- The street is a danger zone for kids to skateboard in. So make sure they never ride in the street until you’re very sure of their competence on the skateboard.
- Skateboarding in bad weather conditions can cause all kinds of accidents and be especially dangerous for kids. Riding in the rain, snow or icy ground is a bad idea. So whenever the weather is bad, keep your kid indoors.
- Skate parks are often the safest places for kids to ride their skateboard. But when you take them there, make sure to obey all the rules and keep a watchful eye out before entering busy areas.
- Only let them skateboard in places where there isn’t much crowd so they can have enough space to ride without colliding with other riders.
- Keep your kid away from all traffic.
Like adults, kids will fall while learning how to skateboard. It is a part of the process. So the best way to avoid injuries is to teach the best ways to fall without hurting themselves.
One of the key priorities for you as a parent should be to get your child a good skateboarding helmet that comes with a few extras. This should be one of the first things your kid should learn to safely use while practising skateboarding.
Here are some ideas on how to teach them how to be safe while riding.
- Let them practice falling on soft surfaces.
- teach them to land on the fleshy areas of their body instead of on their joints
- Teach them the basic tricks before progressing to the more technical stuff.
Benefits Of Skateboarding For Kids.
Skateboarding provides a lot of benefits for your kid. Aside from the great sport that skateboarding is, it provides a load of advantageous and numerous health benefits for everyone who engages in it.
So here are some benefits your kid gets from skateboarding.
Teaches Patience, Practice and Consequence.
Kids are known to have pretty short attention spans except they are truly interested in whatever they are engaged in. If your kid loves skateboarding, it is a great way to teach them the lessons of patience, practice and consequence.
Skateboarding borders on taking calculated risks and doing so in a controlled environment. Your kid gets to learn how fast things can go bad if they don’t learn how to control their skateboards and navigate it properly. And this, they can only achieve with dedicated and constant practice.
They Make New Friends.
The skateboarding community is a pretty welcoming place where everyone is united because of their love for the sport. It is easy for your kid to expand their social circle and bond with other kids over something they all love.
Gives Them Room to Workout.
Skateboarding is a great way to keep fit. It requires the engagement of one’s entire body; excluding the legs and feet. Your kid employs a lot of physical movement when learning to skateboard especially when learning the more technical stuff – like the tricks they can pull off.
A Great Way to Relieve Stress.
Believe it or not, children go though stress too. It might not be at the same magnitude as adults, but they get worked up too. And skateboarding is a great way to relax and let loose. It helps them get their minds off things since you need a level of concentration and focus to learn skateboarding.
It Teaches Them Perseverance And Physical Endurance.
In skateboarding, a vital lesson that is taught is how to get back up when you’re knocked off your feet. This is a great and important lesson to teach your kids and skateboarding is a great way to do so. It teaches your kid how to dust off and try again no matter how many times they are knocked to the ground.
It Is Fun
How can you describe skateboarding without mentioning how much fun it is? Kids are suckers for fun and skateboarding is just another healthy way to let them have it.
So there you have it. Teaching your kids how to skateboard isn’t the worst thing on earth. In fact, far from it. It might be one of the best things you let your kids do.
Skateboarding has a lot to offer your kid and if you do things right, they can learn the sport without getting hurt.